Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Our first cooking class!

At day at rest! Today we have no commitments, a day to do whatever we please!  


We decided to wake, when we woke, and go from there!  A late breakfast at a local cafe - a cappuccino and a brioche - so very continental and sophisticated!

After breakfast, a trip down the alleyway to the shops!  I'm beginning to become quite good at shopping, even when I go into a shop to look at something that Barb wants to look at, I tend to come out with a purchase or two!  I think I may have problems bringing it all home, but we will cross that bridge in a few more days!   One solution may be to dress in many layers with all my purchases, the only problem with that is I may end up looking like the Michelin man!


Even the cardboard mannequins have hairy chests and medallions!

I think my wardrobe has taken a turn for the sophisticated European look.  Can't wait to wear my spoils at Westfield or at rugby! Oh the looks I will get!  One particular outfit I bought today..... Ooh la la!  You will have to wait to see that one - I was talked into it by two women who just happened to be in the shop t the same time  as us - (we were actually looking for a dress for Barb to wear for a wedding) Just for fun, I tried on this beautiful red dress that looked like a very Spanish flamenco type dress, and it went from there.  Needless to say Barb left empty handed, but not me!


We stop shopping long enough to partake of a lovely lunch of Caesar salad, tuna salad, and buffalo mozzarella, Parma ham and melon.  Fortified, we hit the shops again!  We have limited time though, as we have a cooking class this afternoon.


























We scuttle back to the Hotel California to deposit our loot, and get ready for our afternoon in the kitchen!


This afternoon we are in the kitchen of the Valle Dei Mulini Restaurant.



Raffaele  is our chef for the afternoon.  The menu we have planned is  Fiori Di Zucchini Ripeni - stuffed zucchini flowers Ravioli Caprese - Capri style Ravioli





















Pesce All'Acqua Pazza - Fish in "Crazy Water"





Torta Caprese - Almond flourless chocolate cake





 We all have a go at making everything, and we make a mountain of food.



We in fact make more than the six of us can eat - I think they got cheap labour for the day, and that we actually contributed to the restaurant's menu for the evening! A major boo boo happened very early into the class.  We were making the pasta for ravioli.  Rafaele loaded all the ingredients into the kitchen chef to mix up.  We had 1 kilo of flour in the bowl, so there was quite a lot of mixture in there.  As the flour and wet ingredients mixed, some of the dough started creeping up the sides of the bowl, eventually some escaped, and ended up on the floor.  Much to my disbelief one of the ladies in the class picked it up off the floor, and deposited I back in the bowl!!! Barb and I look at each other, and just raise our eyebrows, what the......? Raffaele, I don't think could believe his eyes!  He was too stunned to say anything at first, but after a few minutes he addressed the situation.  I felt so embarrassed for her.  Oh well, what the restaurant patrons don't know, won't hurt them?


Once our dishes are all finished, we sit down to enjoy the fruits of our labour!  We didn't do too badly!!





















Once again we sat down with a lovely group of people, shared good food and wine, and had a good laugh!  One thing I have thoroughly enjoyed about this trip is sitting down with our new found friends, and exchanging stories!  Tonight we all exchanged email addresses, with the intent to keep in touch, and exchange our cultural secret recipes!  Food always brings people together! Another day free tomorrow, what we will do?  I don't think I can shop too much more, well not unless I buy small stuff such as jewelry!

1 comment:

  1. What a journey! You will have so much to tell when the "Dream" is over. Keep on enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete